I’m picky about fit…
I’m not built like an Abercrombie and Fitch model…far from it. Really, it makes buying clothes pretty difficult. A lot of outdoor wear fits “just OK” at best but if it does it’s job, I can accept it. The Thermawool Half-Zip from Terramar Sports, however, has been an all-around outstanding piece in fit, form and function.
What it is
The Men’s Thermawool 4.0 Half-Zip is a very versatile, mid-weight, superfine Merino Wool blend that has all the cozy, softness of a great fleece. The natural wool material makes it a great insulator in the cold, but also help regulate your body temp in warm weather. The Thermawool 4.0 Half-Zip can be found at various online retailers for around $55. A good price compared to other brands’ Merino Wool tops.
Thermawool CS 4.0 Long-Sleeve Half-Zip Top Features:
- Outer layer constructed with 70% Micro Polyester, 30% Merino Wool
- Inner layer constructed with 100% Micro Polyester
- ClimaSense (CS) treatment is designed to respond to your body’s changing conditions to keep you comfortable no matter what your activity level
- The CS system adapts to the skin’s surface temperature, providing a warming effect when you are cold and a cooling effect when you are active, with a dynamic moisture transport system
- ClimaSense offers advanced odor control and uses bluesign approved, performance based technologies
- Wicking, fast-drying, breathable, and no itch
- Retains heat and radiates it back to the body
- Forward-rolled shoulder keeps seams away from pack straps to eliminate chafing
- Functional thumbholes
- Stretch comfort neck tape
- Smooth, beautiful heathered outer fabric glides into outer shells with ease
- Flat seam construction
- 1/2 zip with zipper garage for chin protection
- UPF rating 50+ to help shield from the sun’s harmful rays
- Regular fit
Why I like it
I’ve always been a big fan of Merino Wool in a performance layer. It’s soft, breathable, light, naturally anti-microbial, doesn’t lose it’s shape, holds up to a lot of abuse and insulates well even when wet. What’s not to love? Couple that with a great design and cut and you have a very nice piece of clothing. I love the half-zip for adjusting the insulation value, the chest pocket doesn’t get used much but it’s handy at times and the stretch cuffs with the thumb-holes makes it a great layer for under an outer shell. I’m also a big fan of the fact that it’s not an obnoxious color (like a lot of other stuff on the market right now).
The material is incredibly comfortable. I fell in love with this product as soon as I put it on and it won my loyalty more and more with every use. And I DO use it a lot.
It’s style and function make it a hugely versatile piece of clothing and I wear it for active outdoor activities, lounging around the house, work, or going out to dinner. It goes anywhere and looks good doing it. I dread the days it has to sit in the laundry.
It turned out to be the perfect layering solution under my motorcycle jacket for morning cruises through the Arizona mountains and backroads. It works really well to regulate my temperature under the jacket whether it’s early morning cold or afternoon heat.
I probably wear it more than I should. But really, when I find something I like wearing I tend to keep it at the top of the rotation and wear it often. There’s nothing wrong with that, right? Right?
Merelyn got the women’s version using the Thermawool technology and really likes it as well. The Women’s Thermawool 2.0 Long-Sleeve Half-Zip has the same great fit and performance as the men’s and comes in an attractive color.
The Thermawool is great for a hike, a run, the gym or just around the house. It effortlessly makes the transition from rugged outdoors to stylish casual wear. There were a few criticisms about the women’s top: Merelyn found the collar was restrictive when zipped all the way up and it doesn’t have thumb-holes like the men’s. But it did keep her warm on a chilly 20-something-degree run in Idaho and some frosty day hikes. She just REALLY wanted thumb-holes.
As a brand ambassador for Terramar Sports, I was provided these pieces to test and review as part of the ambassador program. The opinions stated above are my own and are entirely based on my own experience with the product and not influenced in any way by the manufacturer, distributor or their marketing agencies. I have used the product in a variety of conditions and activities and have formed my opinions based on real world performance.